Veterans of Korea

Presented by Members of 51st Signal Battalion
It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:38 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:12 pm 

Looking for information any 51st. veteran may have to help identify the places where the 10 remote field sites were located
gblauvel@yahoo.com

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:39 am 

Just wanted to update the Names of the 10 Remote Sites that I know of which the 51st. Signal Bn. (I-Corps) Gp. operated and maintained, in the time period of 1967 to 1970.
If anyone has info to add as to where these places were located Please do so..

ALBANY SITE-- Located on West side of Camp Red Cloud -The High Mountain peak
BAYONET SITE- Somewhere in the 2nd. INF.DIV. Area
BIRYONG SITE-In the vicinity of Camp St. Barbarba -Near the Turkish Camp and WATKINS RANGE Area , ALSO CLOSE TO THE 25th. ROKA
CASTLE SITE- Somewhere in the 2nd. INF. DIV. Area
DANGER SITE- Possibly in or around the JSA -U.N. Command area, North of the IMJIN River
DUKE SITE-
HILL 651-- Located a few miles SOUTH of Camp Red Cloud, on Mountain top -on the main road to SEOUL
JUPITER SITE- An I-Corps Group ARTILLERY SUPPORT Remote site
NAKTA SITE- The Northern most Remote Communications site of the 51st. Sig. Bn. along the Korean DMZ
ROBUST SITE

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:32 pm 

Gary, I was in B Co. 51st Sig. Bn Dec.70 - Feb. 72 and returned in May 73 - May 75. When I arrived in 70 we were stationed down the road from CRC in a small compound that is now or was occupied by a ROK unit. Across the road from us was A Co. and the rest of the Battalion to include the Bn. Hq. I worked at St. Barbera, Nakta, and a hill called 754, a radar site north of Dong Du Chon for just a few weeks installing commo equip. I later went to Hill 412 and 468, which can be seen from CRC, where myself and another individual, using old TK 7, TRC 24 and AN/GRC 50 equip. and old fly swatter antennas, hardwired 26 pair to a frame that ran down a trunk to CRC to 8th Army. Everything was all line of sight pretty much. Don't know if these outsites, hill 412, 468 and 754 are what you were looking for but the 51st did in fact support them to include those you mentioned. Maybe others out ther may recall these places and have something interesting to add. I know I worked on one site for about 6 mo. talking to a fellow that seemed to work the same shift as myself and we used to work down commo problems and tweek the gear. It was not untill I came off site just before my PCS and looked accross the mess hall and seen a face that looked familiar. Come to find out we were from the same home town and graduated from high school together in Corning , NY. Unknowingly we worked together for the last 6 months. Small world aint it. Best wishes and good luck.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:20 pm 

Jake , good to hear from another 51st. vet. Sorry I had not responded earlier. I have been on a trip and as usual like others have a lot to do.
Looking forward to talking with you about KOREA and what you can offer in the way of information in general while you were there.

Please feel free to call me anytime- I'm Retired so always available or will get back to anyone ASAP.

I will also send you a message to your regular e:mail box in case this don't work.

My Phone is ( 352 ) 650-8605

Regards, GARY BLAUVELT

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:33 pm 

Was watching TV last night and Mash was coming on. The opening scene, the hills, made me think and always does of Hill 651 for some reason.Doesn't really look like what I remember but just makes me think. Never thought to do it before but googled Hill 651 , Korea. And here I am!

It's been quite awhile since I have thought much about this and unfortunately have forgotten alot of names of people and places. I was in B Co of the 51st June 1969 through November 1970. Part of the time there ( the last 6 months or so ) I was kinda in charge of some of the sites. Keeping workable or semi-workable equipment to them and making sure they had some of what they needed. Like I said I had forgotten but the names above ring some bells in my head. 651 for sure, Nakata I would go there, Bayonet, Castle and Biryong. There were a couple of us that looked after the sites. Seems like there was one somewhere near Seoul. Might be wrong though but seems as though I would go there occasionally. I would usually go to the sites to the north. At times when a site would be down or almost down we would take equipment by helicopter( in the day )and can remember going out at night alot of times ( driving ) with equipment. Some of the darkest places in the world as far as I'm concerned was north of Uijeongbu riding through the rice paddies in the middle of the night, not a light of any kind in site.

Glad I found this site , it's sparked some memories.
Billy