Veterans of Korea

Presented by Members of 51st Signal Battalion
It is currently Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:30 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Agent Orange
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:14 pm 

As time goes on I see a lot of my friends that served in Vietnam coming down with cancer, diabetes, and other illnesses that are now being tied to Agent Orange exposure. It is taking years for they symptoms to show up. Now i understand that agent orange was used in Korea at the time that a lot of us served in the country. Being stationed so close to the DMZ makes one wonder how many of the people that served in the country have died or become sick as a result of agent orange in Korea. I for one have been diagnosed with type II diabetes. The doctors state that this type of diabetes is heritatary. I cannot find anyone in my family that has ever had diabetes but me. It makes you wonder if this is tied to an exposure of some chemical that you may have come in contact with by serving in the Armed Forces of the United States. I understand that this too is an illness that is tied to the result of agent orange exposure, Those serving in Korea on or near the DMZ from April 1968 until August 31st 1971 may be eligable for a free Agent Orange screening through the VA. Visit http://www.publichealth.va.gov/exposure ... /korea.asp for more information.

Post subject: Re: Agent Orange
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:33 pm 

The screening for A/ O is just that ( a report ) - basically only an interview with the enviromental Dr. at your local VA clinic.
You will be given a CHEST X-RAY and they take your blood.
Keep in mind none of this process wil determine a Korean Veteran was EXPOSED to Agent Orange !
You will then be interviewed by the Environmental DR. answer a few questions and THAT'S IT ....
You must remember to get a COPY of this DR's. report and keep it !!

Now you are on the AGENT ORANGE REGISTRY .... Whoop DE DO........!

The A /O test Proves NOTHING. Oh, Excuse me it does show you were given an exam --- DUH !!!

All this being said -- I do RECOMMEND any Veteran who believes he may have been exposed or has health
issues which may be related to Possibly being exposed.. GET the EXAM --at least you will have the record of it
being done !
Gary

Post subject: Re: Agent Orange
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:10 pm 
Site Admin

You know, I would have recommended that anyone thinking they may have been exposed to get on the registry and be tested, BUT, I spend a lot of time looking at VA decisions and I have come across a number of them that gives me concerns that it may not be the way to go for everyone.

Example:

Quote:
In June 2001, the veteran completed a questionnaire regarding
exposure in Agent Orange. He was asked if he was involved in
handling or spraying Agent Orange, if he was ever in a
recently sprayed area, if he was exposed to herbicides other
than Agent Orange, if he was directly sprayed with Agent
Orange, or if he ate food or drink that could have been
sprayed with Agent Orange. The veteran replied that he was
"Not Sure" to each question.

That was what the VA included in his decision and they denied him for (among other reasons) not proving he was exposed and his statement that he was "not sure" that he had been exposed to begin with.

WHEN DEALING WITH GOVERNMENT, BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU SAY EVEN THOUGH YOU MAY THINK IT INNOCUOUS AT THE TIME!

Just an opinion.

USArmy (Ret)

http://www.koreanveterans.org
http://www.koreanveterans.net